The elections on 6 May sadly saw a Tory-LibDem coalition take control of the country, but here in Southwark residents voted out the LibDem-Tory council and elected a new Labour administration.
Since then I have been appointed as Cabinet Member for Regeneration & Corporate Strategy for Southwark, with wide ranging responsibilities including:
- Large regeneration projects like Elephant & Castle, Aylesbury Estate, Canada Water and Bermondsey Spa
- A wealth of smaller regeneration projects such as the Nunhead & East Peckham Renewal Area, Elmington Estate regeneration and Wooddene redevelopment
- Planning policy across the borough
- Oversight of the development control process (though not individual planning decisions, which are taken by an independent, cross party committee), planning enforcement and building control
- Economic development, including town centre development, business development and employment support
- Responsibility for the Council’s overall corporate strategy and performance management function to ensure that the council is delivering on the priorities and manifesto pledges we made
It’s a big job and I’m now a full time councillor. The good news for the Nunhead and Queens Road area is that one of the most important projects for our area – the Renewal Project – falls within my portfolio so I am now ideally placed to make sure the project delivers!